Monday 10 October 2016

The Power of Personal Finance Is Power Over One's Life

Sometimes, I wish my mom taught me more about APR.



I didn't know what APR meant when I was 16. They gave me a credit card to use. I never knew it had an APR.

This APR had led to the loss of my car once. After my mother died and my father went sick, I struggled to understand what APR was. In fact, APRs became something I was traumatised with early on.

Annual percentage rates. I spent enormously on standard learning that I never really realised my parents can't repay this amount to their creditors.

So I was stuck with dropping out and paying out these APRs. I'm currently running this blog to pay for my expenses. At least the advertisements and sponsors pay me enough.

I familiarised myself with finance and other terms that I couldn't understand. Or at least life taught me about them.

Encumbrance meant our house would be taken. Foreclosed by the bank, meant taken by the bank.

These words shocked me as I read them on paper. Being my father was mentally unfit, I had to take care of the estate since I was already of the legal age when this happened.

But I wish someone taught me finance early on. Personal finance.

But then again, I wouldn't be the same person I was if they did. Or maybe I would be better.


Regardless, nobody deserves to not know about finance at an early age. They should teach it in schools other than stuffy things we can't use when we're older.

No comments:

Post a Comment